Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some Old Dude Whining About Replay

Kenny Rogers today blamed the Yankees for instant replay, because of a game back in May. How about all the other times the umps have gotten the call wrong?
"It’s the beauty of the game. Mistakes are made.”
But if you have a chance to reduce those errors, wouldn't you take it? What if someone told you that MLB was going to (legally) institute a new policy that gave pitchers an advantage over hitters? Wouldn't you accept that?

Replay will also speed the game up, because managers won't need to spend 10 minutes arguing with the umpires and being kicked out.

Instant replay is a good thing. It's been good for the NFL and will be good for MLB.
“It’s a slap in the face of umpires that have been here for a long time and they’ve done a very good job with difficult situations in all aspects,” Rogers said.
It's a slap in the face that they make mistakes? If I were an ump, I'd be grateful to be given the chance to correct my mistakes without letting them affect the outcome of a game.

2 comments:

TheYurtingYeti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheYurtingYeti said...

"It's a slap in the face that they make mistakes? If I were an ump, I'd be grateful to be given the chance to correct my mistakes without letting them affect the outcome of a game."

I don't think many umps would like the replay. This allows them to be scrutinized on a level that is well beyond players/managers/fans bitching about a call. Umps are gods with their interpretations of the rules. Replay has the ability to bring into question EVERY call they make. And people being people, we don't care/remember all the good and corroborated calls they make -- only those calls that are disagreed with and overturned. As a result, I think you'll see more conservatism with subtle calls because a lot of things won't get noticed unless you call attention to it ... and if you do that, you open up the chance of people calling you wrong ... and that will affect how the umps are viewed. And now they'll be viewed with video evidence to back it up.

That all being said, I personally don't think replay takes away from the game ... unless I'm being showed stupid replays that cause me to miss some of the game - I hate that! ... well, except in baseball as replays are usually more interesting than the game;-)