Thursday, November 08, 2007

Fascinating ARod Breakdown

I just got done reading this article about giving ARod a massive contract and I'm floored. It's a great read and the comparisons to other players - particularly David Ortiz - are fascinating. I mean, you know Ortiz has been more clutch than ARod, but putting the numbers next to each other make it staggering.

I've spent a lot of the past 10 days wondering what I'd do if the Sox signed ARod and I just don't know. Do you stop being a fan after a lifetime of watching every game possible? After 2 years of blogging regularly about the team? After dozens of games sitting in the bleachers? After not missing a postseason game for 15 years and staying up incredibly late for most of them, even when you had to be up at 6am? After teaching your 3-year old son to say "Go Red Sox" and "Yankees suck!"?

I can't do that. But I don't know how I'll feel about the team. It will be extremely disappointing and it won't feel like the Red Sox that I love. I had similar feelings about Roger Clemens resigning with the team, except that would have only been for part of one season. ARod is a similar mercenary, but he wants a 10 year deal and will most certainly get 8 at a minimum.

Honestly, it makes me sick to think of the 2008 defending World Series champions bringing ARod on board. They don't need him and he will ruin their image.

How would Sox fans change their behavior towards him? What's our natural instinct now when we see him? We boo him. He doesn't something, whether good or bad, and we boo him. In his first game as a Red Sox, if he commits an error, we'd probably boo. Would we do that with any other new player? No.

I still think the only team stupid enough to sign him to a major contract is the Giants. See: Barry Zito.

No comments: