Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Francona Wants Sox to Remain "Consistent"

I went out for lunch today and managed to listen to Terry Francona's interview with Dale and Holley on WEEI. It disturbed me, to say the least.

Michael Holley asked Francona (all paraphrases) "Terry, what do you say to the critics who say your loyalty to your regular players is stubborn and will prevent this team from advancing?" to which Francona replied, "We need to stay consistent and just play" and of course more, but you get the point.

"We need to stay consistent and just play."

This, from the manager of a team who has just lost 3 straight games in the ALCS and is on the brink of elimination. Nothing is working right now offensively. When I used to be a salesman I lived by the old adage "If you keep doin' what you're doin', you'll keep gettin' what you're gettin'." This applies perfectly to the Sox right now. If Francona keeps trotting out the same lineup and keeping things "consistent," he'll keep getting the same results.

As a salesman, when something that had previously worked stopped working, I changed. I adapted. I altered my sales strategy. Things don't last forever, and that includes sales strategies and successful lineups. I was an extremely successful salesman because of my ability to adapt; not just from sale to sale, but within a sale. Francona needs to start adapting within a game instead of from game to game or series to series.

Or we'll be bringing back the old nickname "Francoma."

2 comments:

skootchy22 said...

Heard the same interview, and thought the same thing. I know a coach cannot "diss" his players, but there is no way Tito doesnt see that Drew and Crisp are having trouble even hitting the ball out of the infield at this point. Even more disturbing is going to be how Theo is still going to try and convince us that drew will be better in his second year. At least Coco should be gone, unless they trade Jacoby for Nick Punto (lowest ranked 3rd baseman in both batting avg and hr's)and pay him 85 million for 7 years

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

HA! That was hilarious. I think Coco will be gone. The only way he stays is if he agrees to be a part-time player, which he won't do.