Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Remembering Game 7 of 2003 ALCS

As painful as this may be, this is the best job I've ever read about recalling the dreaded game 7 in 2003.

I've read a lot of blog posts about it and no one seems to get every detail right like that one does. No one remembers how lights-out Timlin and Williamson were and how both were ready to come in for the 8th.

The writer does forget to mention that even Pedro himself thought he was done - I recall him shaking his teammates' hands after the 7th (and 100+ pitches).

And anyone who watched the Sox that season as religiously as I did knew - knew - that when Grady came out to visit Pedro in the 8th, Pedro was not getting pulled. Grady pulled this garbage all season, costing the Red Sox innumerable wins. I was watching the game with my father-in-law, who is not a big baseball fan at all but knows the basics, and when Grady stepped out of the dugout he said, "There, he'll pull Pedro now." I immediately replied, "No, not Grady. He'll talk to him, pat him on the ass and go back to the dugout." My FIL was shocked when I was right.

That link is worth a read, no matter how painful it is to recall it.

No comments: