Monday, October 22, 2007

Heading to Denver

Another miraculous comeback by the Sox. Okay, so it wasn’t miraculous. I think that word is overused. But it was certainly against the odds.

So the Sox are headed to Denver and I’m very close to getting tickets for games 3 and 4 out there this weekend, which would be the greatest event of my sports fan life. It’s all I can think about right now.

The best part of the win last night was Papelbon’s “come hither” look to Varitek after the winning catch; he got down on his knees and beckoned Varitek with his hands, all with a psycho look on his face. We’ve come to expect nothing less from our closer. This guy is the best.

And did you see that catch Coco made? To the deepest part of the park! He looked to be taking the wrong route to the ball, but he got there anyway. And Ellsbury made a very good catch in left, too. What a great game.

The biggest dilemma for the World Series is deciding whom to bench in Denver. Do you bench one of the greatest postseason hitters of all time in David Ortiz, or do you bench the hottest hitter on the team in Youk? I think they both need to be in there. How about playing Youk in left or right and taking JD Drew out? I don’t know; I haven’t given it much thought and I (thankfully) don’t need to make the decision.

7 comments:

Nathan said...

Given Francona's statement earlier about staying consistent, I wouldn't be surprised if he kept the lineup the same ... for at least the first game. He has faith in their abilities and their ability to pull it out when they need to.

That being said, I expect a full post with all of your opinions on the subject ... 'cause that's what you do best:)

sarah said...

I'm sorry, how can the lineup stay the same when the NL doesn't have a DH? We have to fit Big Papi in somewhere, which most likely will be first base, and then that leaves the question of where do we put Youk? I'm not sure I like the idea of Big Papi running bases in mile high Denver. We shall see. Keep us updated on the ticket situation.

sarah said...

P.S. now that we're going to the world series, it appears the bandwagon fans are crawling out of the woodwork.

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

Sarah,
Success breeds heavy bandwagons. Real fans know who the other real fans are.

As for the lineup, it can't stay the same. That's my point. They need to decide whom to bench, and my choice would be Drew.

sarah said...

RSSG,

I agree! It'll be interesting to see if Tito agrees as well.

skootchy22 said...

(To the tune of Raindrops kepp falling on my head)

Pink hats keep falling on their heads! Just like, when it was Raider Black, they talk such crappy smack! Oooohhh pink hats keep fallin on their heads.....

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

Wow... I'm not sure what to say here Skootchy.