Saturday, June 02, 2007

I Learned It From Watching You, Dad!

During tonight's game, Jason Varitek hit a grounder to Robinson Cano, who ran to tag Mike Lowell in the first base line. Lowell hit Cano with a completely legal shoulder that took Cano down. Cano managed to make an amazing throw to first to double up Varitek. Cano complained about the hit after the game, but he wasn't backed up by his manager, Joe Torre. From the ESPN.com story:
"I never had a problem with him before," Cano said. "Today he threw his elbow."

But Torre said it was a clean play. Lowell, who spent his first four professional seasons in the Yankees organization, insisted he meant no harm.

"They taught me how to do it," he said.
Classic! It reminded me of that old anti-drug commercial where the father catches his son doing dope and asks him how he learned to do that stuff. The son cries, "I learned it from watching you, dad!" How dramatic.

No comments: