Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Disappointing Joe Morgan Chat

As you know if you've been reading this blog for the past few weeks, I typically get great joy from reading Joe Morgan's chats on ESPN.com. Today, however, was not one of those days. Good grammar, spelling and punctuation suddenly appeared in his chat, meaning he likely had a moderator typing his answers for him and possibly picking questions better suited for Joe to answer. Maybe they're reading this blog. Anyway, here are a couple good ones, with my comments in italics:

Sam Perlozzo (Baltimore): Joe, I had a horrible 9th inning in Boston Sunday followed by a near fight in the dugout last night between Mora and Payton. Is my time as manager drawing short?
Joe Morgan: It's tough for me to answer that question from afar, because I don't see how they go about their business on a day-to-day basis. There are incidents on EVERY team where players get upset about incidents that happen on the field. They didn't fire the guy in Toronto, so I don't think that's a reason to fire him. If you don't think he's doing a good job with the team, then that's a reason to fire someone. I think you judge a team on how they compete.
I hate it when Joe can't answer a question. The person posing the question was asking if the poor play combined with the recent spate of poor decisions and infighting would cause Perlozzo to be fired. Joe Morgan tried to avoid the question altogether, like he's friends with Perlozzo. I say Perlozzo's out by June 1st.

Brian(NY): Joe here's a tough one for ya...if you we're to start a franchise from scratch for the next 5 years who would you're infield team be , mine would be Pujols,Kinsler,Reyes and Wright.
Joe Morgan: I can't argue with that. I'm not sure I'd put Kinsler ahead of Cano. He's hitting home runs, but is he a better hitter than Cano, who hit .340 last year. I wouldn't argue with that infield other than 2B, but I'd have to think more about it.
Here goes Joe, judging a guy on the previous season's flukey batting average. It's obvious pitchers quickly figured out Cano, who walks less than Alfonso Soriano and doesn't have the power. Cano is now hitting .237 with an abysmal .281 OBP. He shouldn't be starting for any big league team and is not helping the Yankees one bit. I actually have Kinsler and Cano on one fantasy team and Cano has not seen my starting lineup all year. How Joe Morgan can judge a guy on one season is impossible to understand.

Dave (Richmond VA): Hey Joe! How good do you think that Phil Hughes can be this year? Is he a legit number 2 or 3?
Joe Morgan: I don't know how good he can be, since he hasn't pitched enough games. The best way to judge a pitcher is how he keeps his team in the game when he doesn't have his best stuff. He doesn't have enough starts to gauge whether he's a 1, 2, 3 or 4. That's the problem sometimes is that people want to slot guys. Paper doesn't make you a No. 1, 2 or 3. Handling adversity does.
What? So I could be a really crappy pitcher but if I handle myself well while pitching crappily, that would make me a #1 pitcher? Joe, as always you make no sense. And you do know how good he can be because you can analyze his minor league stats. Oh wait, you don't like stats.

No comments: