Saturday, March 17, 2007

More Answers From Schilling, Notes on Papelbon

Okay, I've become addicted to Schilling's blog. And not because he's actually answering my questions; also because he's very insightful and humble. Here's the latest batch:

Q-Do comparable salaries come up in salary negotiations? For instance, would you compare yourself to Gil Meche to make the point that you deserve significantly more than $13 million?

A-Absolutely not. The analogy I would give you is that I know where I ‘fit’ from a contract standpoint. Since 1997 I’ve been comfortable with where I thought I fit. I knew the post 1996 season market was going to be a big one, however I loved Philadelphia and thought that things were going to change. I thought the franchise was going to shift it’s philosophy and things would be different, so I negotiated a deal at around 6m per year. 24 million over 4 was a fantastic contract in my head. That winter Kevin Brown signed for 100+ million. Was I bitter? Hell no, I had guaranteed my family a lifetime of security. I did snicker a little bit AFTER the 1997 season, given what happened that year and how I felt I did, but no, I don’t compare the way you might think a player would.I would also tell you that I am sure some guys do, and more power to them if they do. The game made over 5 billion dollars last year, I have zero problems with players getting as much as they can. I think the problem becomes when players who get the maximum dollar try to present their case as something other than what it actually is.

Q-What do you use for stats in negotiations? What do they use?

A-Stats don’t really enter into my negotiations, at least for my last 2 contracts they haven’t. Stats play a huge role in arbitration, since they are basically the only evidence allowed. Stats play a smaller role in free agency with the exception of Scott Boras’ clients. From what I’ve read and seen the stuff that Scott creates for his clients is astoundingly in depth and convincing. Some agents use them to an enormous advantage.

I found this interesting that he doesn't use stats to negotiate contracts and the teams don't use his negative stats. Maybe when you've developed such a reputation that there's too much competition for your services. Who knows? I knew they were huge in arbitration, though.

......

Papelbon's line didn't look too good today, but as a new coworker pointed out, you never know when an established pitcher is trying something new to add to his repertoire. Papelbon knows he's got a job in 2007, whether it's as a starter or closer. He can afford to play around with a new pitch or release point. Or maybe he just had a bad day. Anyway, here it is: 3.2 IP, 5 hits, 1 walk, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 HR, 2 ER. Not pretty. The bright spot was the 5 strikeouts. It was great to see the bullpen, including some key 2007 guys, shut down the opposition the rest of the way.

2 comments:

Robert said...

I would find it interesting too that Curt has never used his stats during his contract negotiations. Maybe he doesn't think he needs the money, but I doubt that as he is going to look for the money in 2008. I'm also shocked that he doesn't compare his salary to that of the competition and what similar pitchers are being paid. I certainly know that many players - and I had falsely assumed all - did that with their agents. But whatever does it for him.

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

Schilling actually doesn't have an agent, which is another interesting thing about Schill. So does he dislike the thought of giving 15% of his salary to an agent or does he think he can negotiate better? I don't know.