I know, I'll get e-mails from fans (or Paul Hughes - see my last post) telling me I'm a fair weather fan. I'm not. I watched every single game for 3 straight summers during their bad years at the beginning of this century. I still watch them now on NESN at night. I love the Sox, good or bad.
As for the rest of the game, some notes:
- I enjoyed seeing David Murphy and I hope he is our 4th outfielder in 2007.
- The stands were packed, even for a meaningless game on a Wednesday night at the end of the season.
- Wily Mo Pena looked AWFUL. I think he struck out in every at-bat. Same goes for Varitek.
- Big Papi is the only draw for this team right now. Even when the team was down 11-0, the fans stayed, knowing he'd be leading off the bottom of the 8th. He got a huge standing ovation here, even though he can't hit an eleven run homer, and chants of "MVP" filled the stadium. Great times.
- Sweet Caroline is still sweet after all these years. If you haven't been to Fenway, this is a late-in-the-game staple and the fans join in and sing along. It never gets old.