Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Shut up, Sox fans!

Check out this article by Eric Wilbur. I wanted to share this article because it really hits the nail on the head. I've received e-mails and posts in my forum all year about bad trades and the sky is falling and woe is us. It's ridiculous. Shut up, pathetic Sox fans. I don't want to hear it anymore. The Sox will be fine. You forget that they were 10.5 games behind the Yankees in August of 2004, only to come storming back to win the World Series. They've had a lot of injuries that Theo can't control. They're still extremely close to a playoff spot. I'm not going to rehash what Wilbur said, but read it and you'll know how I feel. I've been preaching all year to be patient. You don't want to sacrifice your future for this one year. Don't forget Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen.

A guy called WEEI's D&C fill-in show this morning and was talking about what an excellent pitcher Arroyo has become and he might win the Cy Young and will probably go into the Hall of Fame. Dennis and Callahan would have been all over this moron and certainly would have blown him up when he wasn't able to come up with Arroyo's crappy July and August stats, but the awful fill-ins just agreed and really didn't have anything to offer. Maybe this is why a lot of Red Sox fans are dumb - the major radio hosts go on long vacations during the summer and are replaced by schlubs who don't know Bronson Arroyo from Rolando Arrojo.

10 comments:

skootch said...

As a sox fan of epic emotions, I can say my high level of complaining isnt really about making the world series right now, its about not being able to enjoy watching games due to inevitable "suckiness" from the Sox pitching staff. Its very annoying to get all psyched up to watch the game, sit down with your beer and your snacks, and then BOOM its 5-2 Royals/Devil Rays/insert team in the 2nd inning. Ruins the entire evening.

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

I could not agree more. Especially when Beckett is spotted an early 4-0 lead and can't hold it and starts looking like Rick Ankiel. Then Lowell grounds into a hugely disappointing bases-loaded double play. Ugh. Papelbon is doing exactly what Foulke did in 2004 - struggling after the all-star break. But we all remember what happened that season.

skootch said...

Good one, the Foulke comparison is right on. Papelbon is the least of my worries anyway. If we make the playoffs, it looks like having Schill pitch everygame for 8 innings is the only answer to keeping ERA under 6. Beckett is by far the most disapointing player for me this year, with Coco playing a close second.

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

It's frustrating even further because Beckett's stats last night were good. His WHIP was 1 or below, no walks, good strikeouts. Foulke and Wells have been massive (literally in Wells's case) disappointments, too. Tavarez and Seanez haven't been disappointments because I thought they were bad moves from te beginning.

skootch said...

Whilst we are on the subject, why do you think it is that Wells is being given a chance to give up countless runs this year? I understand we need the pitching, but I would feel better about Pauley, any of the Portland Seadogs, or your son for that matter pitching right now.(no knock on the little man intended) Is it really worth keeping fat boy happy when his performance is less than bad even? Whats he going to do? Quit and make our staff ERA drop by 6 runs? Good riddance lardo.

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

He pitched pretty well last time out, giving up only unearned runs I believe. And they're paying him so much that they think his potential upside is better than releasing him and having the Yanks pick him up for the stretch run.

enots61180 said...

I would agree with skootch about getting excited and then let down by the sox play. As it is every year, they are going through a slide but come the end of the year they will still have their ~95 wins. The best we can hope for is the pitching will come around in time for the Yankees series and then the post season.

mamanmae said...

I agree with Skootch - the red sox have NOT been beer or nacho (mmm nachos) worthy in a very long time!

Seth Mnookin wrote a great blog today about about why Sox fans should move back from the ledge. He make some pretty good points, but it's really nothing we haven't heard from Stats Guy before :-)

Red Sox Stats Guy said...

I started out disliking Seth Mnookin for various reasons that I won't get into, but I've really started liking him a lot. I agree with most of his points and he does an excellent job of using stats to illustrate those points.

skootch said...

I have to repeat a great quote...."mmmmm Nachos" God they are tasty.

That was a great article, I swear those are written for non-nation members however. We who are die-hards dont need to be told the ever-repeated "dont jump sox fans...etc"
Personally, I would still go crazy being swept by the Royals if we had 150 wins going in.